I would like to tell about one of healthy lifestyle trends in this post – sprouted plant seeds nutrition. Usually people come to this particular diet for various reasons.
The crucial reason is that each of us tries to take care of their own health and their loved ones. The raw food cuisine is a modern trend, which opens the vegetables in a delicious and unexpectedly superhealthy way. It is a well-known fact, that the vegetables and fruit which are not cooked at temperature above 37°C restore ph- environment of the human body due to its alkaline nature. And what can we say about the beans that supply energy to the most organisms on our planet! No doubt, the cooked porridge is very useful, but the fresh sprouts contain a huge amount of B vitamins, vitamin E and vitamin C. It is noted that they contain more fiber, minerals and amino acids than there are in dry grains. Sprouts contain live enzymes responsible for biochemical processes in the human body. They stimulate the normalization of metabolism. The nutrition with germs improves the condition of skin, nails, hair and reactivates the metabolism. And, of course, salads with the germinated seeds have got a unique taste.
Before you proceed to the main part of the article, it is important to pay attention to contraindications. Yes, the germinated seeds can be harmful:
- During acute diseases of the digestive system (ulcers, gastritis, inflammatory processes);
- Children up to 12 years;
- Urolithiasis, nephritis, and gout;
- For those who is sensitive to gluten products.
By the way, corn, rice, buckwheat and quinoa are gluten free, and they can be sprouted as well, but one should take only green buckwheat.
This is due to the high content of minerals that are necessary for the grain could “arise” from the ground and germinate.
When I bought a jar on iHerb, at first sight it was unusual to use a jar with a metal lid, but then I realized that it is easier than cheesecloth (which turns yellow over time, turns soir from moisture, etc.).
And so, the following improvised means should be used in order to germinate seeds at home: Bank 1 l, gauze and a rubber band.
For convenience, the American manufacturers have offered a jar with the lid holes, that facilitates the process of washing the seeds and does not allow them to suffocate. The elaborated size and shape of jar are ideal for germination: the moisture is well-kept inside and it prevents the seeds from drying, all the seedlings have enough space to grow.
I have chosen the delicious seeds for sprouting in iherb shop by Now foods production. This piquant set Now Foods Real Food Mix, 454 g included: seeds of clover, radish, fenugreek. The packaging is economical, enough for 20 batches.
To get whole jar of sprouts (about 100 g) it is needed only two tablespoons. The water dose goes in a ratio of 3:1.Also water can be from the filter, it is better when it is cool.
1. Then we should leave a jar with water for the night. In the morning, the grits become moisten, and we should drain the water.
2. Wash the seeds with clean water, a few times it is better. Also, it is useful to add in this step, ¼ teaspoon of citric acid, to prevent the multiply of harmful bacteria.
3. Pour the water and put the jar at an angle to the dryer. After a couple of hours it can be laid into a horizontal position. They will germinate equally this way.
4.The shoots will be visible in 12 hours. Every day they become more and more beautiful.
5. It is necessary to rinse them with water twice, morning and evening, every day. And on the fourth day we can eat them!
They gain their “green condition” only with the help of direct sunlight. So, you can put them on the window sill, and wait for one hour.
6. Next step is to put the sprouts into a plastic container and, they can be stored for 5 days.
The sprouted seeds can be added to vegetable salads with soy sauce, wine vinegar and garlic, you can prepare homemade muesli with nuts, honey and fresh fruit.
For the next germination I will choose quinoa, the technology is the same.
When I first tasted the salad with sprouted seeds, I realized that I didn’t know anything about the taste and joy of fresh food… Stay healthy and eat consciously!